Hicks Pike Reconstruction Phase 2
Facility: Hicks Pike (CR 1151)
Location: US 42 to Man O War Boulevard
Project Type: Roadway Maintenance/Reconstruction
Priority Level: Tier 2
- Reconstruct Hicks Pike to three lanes to support traffic volumes that are expected from increased residential development.
- Improve safety by providing an urban cross section with appropriate width travel lanes, shoulders and curb and gutters.
- Construct a multi-use path on one or both sides of the roadway.
|Design||Utilities||Right of Way||Construction||TOTAL|
- Enhanced roadway geometry and urban cross section will improve safety along Hicks Pike and minimize future crashes that may arise by increased future residential development traffic.
- This project will provide the opportunity to correct the sharp curve near Huey Place.
- A multi-use path will provide connections to bicycle and pedestrian facilities that are included in the KY 338 (Richwood Road) and US 42 Widening projects.
- The multi-use path included in this recommendation are consistent with Boone County’s overall goal of increased safety and connectivity for bicycles and pedestrians. Click HERE for a map of multi-use paths in Boone County.
- The reconstruction project will require reconstruction of the bridge over Mud Lick Creek.
- The project will need to be coordinated with the Boone County Planning Commission to accommodate planned development in this area.
- Additional right-of-way will be required to implement this recommendation.
Functional Classification: Local
Existing ADT: 2,730 vehicles per day
2040 Forecasted ADT: 3,400 vehicles per day
- Residential development planned along this roadway is expected to use Hicks Pike as a primary connection to I-71/75 and US 42.
- Traffic demand along roadways and at cross streets is expected to increase as this area develops.
- By year 2040, population to the south of Hicks Pike is expected to grow by 4,500 homes.
- By year 2040, population to the west of US 42, near Hicks Pike is expected to grow by over 3,000 homes.
- The existing cross section consists of 10 foot lanes with no shoulders. The deficient lane width and absence of shoulders creates a safety concern especially as traffic volumes increase.
- There is a sharp bend in the roadway at the intersection with Huey Place. There is a 20 mile per hour advisory listed on this curve.
- There are no dedicated bicycle or pedestrian facilities along this roadway. Continued residential development is expected increase pedestrian and bicycle demand in this area.
- There is a multi-use path included in the US 42 Widening project from Hicks Pike to Raiders Run.