I-71/75 Auxiliary Lanes
Location: KY 536 (Mount Zion Road) to US 42
Project Type: Bike/Ped
Priority Level: Tier 1
- Add northbound and southbound auxiliary lanes on I-71/75 from KY 536 (Mount Zion Road) to US 42 in accordance with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s Interchange Justification Study (Item Number 06-14.5) which states,
“Southbound I-71/I-75 exit ramp to KY 536 (Mt. Zion Road) – An auxiliary lane (fifth) will be added from the southbound US 42 entrance ramp. An additional (sixth) lane will be added approximately 1,500 feet north of the ramp in addition to the auxiliary lane to develop a two-lane exit ramp. The sixth lane will be an exit only lane, while the adjacent (or fifth) lane will be an option lane where vehicles can choose to continue south on I-71/I-75 or exit to KY 536 (Mt. Zion Road). This lane will be dropped within the KY 536 interchange, prior to the bridge over KY 536 (Mt. Zion Road). The total length of this auxiliary lane (fifth lane) is approximately 8800 linear feet from where it picks up at US 42 to the end of the taper within the interchange.”
|Utilities||Right of Way||Construction||TOTAL|
- Installation of an auxiliary lanes on I-71/75 is needed to satisfy lane balance principles to improve safety along I-71/75 when constructing the interchange improvements at KY 536 (Mount Zion Road) and KY 338 (Richwood Road).
- The design phase of this project has been funded. This recommendation will continue the investment in this project to fund the utility and construction phases to implement the improvement.
- Identifying and acquiring needed remaining project funding.
Functional Classification: Interstate
Existing ADT: 132,210 vehicles per day
2040 Forecasted ADT: 181,400 vehicles per day
Truck Volume: 21%
Congestion and Safety:
- The Interchange Justification Study for I-71/75 at KY 536 and KY 338 identified this mainline recommendation to safely incorporate improvements to the KY 536 and KY 338 interchanges.