KY 237/Conrad Lane Intersection Improvements
Facility: KY 237 (North Bend Road)
Location: Conrad Lane
Project Type: Traffic Operations
Priority Level: Tier 1
- Install full right turn lanes on the KY 237 (North Bend Road) northbound and southbound approaches to Conrad Lane to improve capacity and safety.
|Design||Utilities||Right of Way||Construction||TOTAL|
- Sufficient storage will be provided for northbound and southbound right-turning vehicles from KY 237 to Conrad Lane.
- Replacing right turn tapers with full right turn lanes will reduce the likelihood of rear end crashes.
- The project will require additional right-of-way.
- KY 237 is located on a fill section with steep slopes on either side. Grading will be required to construct full right turn lanes.
Functional Classification: Principal Arterial
Existing ADT: 17,940 vehicles per day
2040 Forecasted ADT: 24,800 vehicles per day
Truck Volume: 9%
- KY 237 serves as a primary north-south route through central Boone County.
- Conrad Road primarily serves residential land use and connects to KY 338 (Idlewild Road) and downtown Burlington.
- In peak hours, long cues of traffic turning right to Conrad Lane blocks KY 237 through traffic.
- The crash rate along this portion of roadway is over three times the statewide average for similar roadways.
- There are existing geometric deficiencies along the route, such as sharp curves, narrow lanes, and narrow shoulders. The existing cross section is not consistent with the use of the roadway.