KY 18/Aero Parkway Intersection Improvement
Facility: KY 18 (Burlington Pike)
Location: KY 1017 (Aero Parkway)/Oakbrook Drive (CR 1011)
Project Type: Roadway Widening/Relocation/New Facility
Priority Level: Tier 2
- Improve capacity at the KY 18 (Burlington Pike) intersection with KY 1017 (Aero Parkway) to support existing traffic as well as economic growth.
- Consider grade separated options as well as non-conventional, at-grade intersection treatments.
- Include facilities to accommodate pedestrians and bicyclists.
|Planning||Design||Utilities||Right of Way||Construction||TOTAL|
- Improvements to the KY 18 (Burlington Pike) intersection with KY 1017 (Aero Parkway)/Oakbrook Drive will improve existing congestion and provide sufficient capacity to support planned development along KY 1017.
- Traffic flow along the KY 18 corridor will be improved by reducing delay at this intersection.
- The multi-use considerations included in this recommendation support Boone County’s goal of improving bicycle and pedestrian connectivity and safety throughout the county. Click HERE for a map of multi-use paths in Boone County.
- Additional right-of-way will be needed to implement improvements.
- Future traffic demand analysis will be needed to forecast future traffic volumes and identify a preferred alternative.
- Due to the elevations of KY 18, KY 1017 and Oakbrook Drive, grade separated alternatives may impact planned economic development.
- There is an electric substation located on the south-west quadrant of the intersection. Impacts to this substation are estimated to be $10,000,000 and have been included in the cost estimate.
Functional Classification: KY 18: Principal Arterial | KY 1017: Minor Arterial | Oakbrook Drive: Major Collector
Existing ADT (vehicles per day): KY 18: 36,770 | KY 1017: 14,810 | Oakbrook Drive: 6,480
2040 Forecasted ADT (vehicles per day): KY 18: 56,600 | KY 1017: 27,800 | Oakbrook Drive: 7,700
Truck Volumes: KY 18: 8% | KY 1017: 4% | Oakbrook Drive: Not Available
- The existing KY 18 (Burlington Pike) intersection with KY 1017 (Aero Parkway)/Oakbrook Drive handles heavy traffic volumes along KY 18 and KY 1017. Congestion is evident by cycle failures tp clear cues for heavy movements during peak hours.
- The heavy movement in the AM peak hour is the eastbound left turning movement from KY 18 to KY 1017. There are existing cycle failures associated with this movement.
- In the PM peak hour, the heavy movements include eastbound and westbound through movements as well as southbound right turns from KY 1017 onto KY 18.
- There is planned development along KY 1017 that will contribute to delay at this intersection.
- The KY 18 intersection with KY 1017/Oakbrook Drive serves adjacent commercial and residential land uses.
- The Amazon Air Prime Hub is planned at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG). Access to the development will connect with KY 1017. This development will generate additional employee and truck traffic on KY 1017.
- The frequency of crashes along KY 18 in the project area is 50% higher than the statewide average of similar roadways. Crashes along KY 1017 and Oakbrook drive are less than half the statewide average rate of similar roadways.
- There is a multi-use path that is planned along the north side of KY 18 that will terminate at this intersection.
- There is an existing multi-use path along the south side of KY 1017 and an existing sidewalk along the southeast side of Oakbrook Drive.
- TANK’s Fixed Route 32x runs along KY 18 through the project area.